Resources and publications
We share knowledge and resources with patients, residents, families, care teams and anyone who needs ethics support.
Tools, frameworks and policies
- Building a moral distress plan
- Code of conduct
- Ethical decision-making framework policy
- Just workplace framework
- Mission discernment tool
- Outsourcing services framework
- Patient/resident concerns resolution procedures
- Patient/resident concerns resolution process policy
Health Ethics Guide
The Health Ethics Guide is the foundational ethics resource used by Covenant Health.
- informs our key policies, ethics consultations and ethics education
- is referenced in our Cooperation and Service Agreement with Alberta Health Services
- helps healthcare professionals navigate complex ethical issues while providing care
- is key to board orientation, leadership development programs for staff and physician privileging
- is given to every director, manager and department at Covenant Health
Ethics and Discernment Centre newsletters
Virtual seminar and conference recordings
- Responsibility (2023)
- Right's Talk: Exploring the Language of Rights in Health Care (2022)
- Embracing Our Power to Care Kindly (2022)
- What Do We Know and How Do We Know It? (2021)
- Trust During Uncertain Times (2021)
- Claims, Bias and Tensions Concerning Human Dignity in Catholic Health Care (2021)
- Confronting Racism in Communities of Care: Trust, Respect and Accountability (2021)
- Solidarity (2021)
- Reimagining Belonging: Participation as the Path to Wholeness (2021)
- Covenant Health and the Public Interest Commissioner
Codes of ethics
Covenant Health Palliative Institute
The Covenant Health Palliative Institute is committed to alleviating suffering for patients and their families by supporting excellence in palliative and end-of-life care.
Personal directives (Government of Alberta)
Information on personal directives (what they are and how they work)
Medical assistance in dying information
We support those in our care who are looking for more information about options, including palliative and hospice care. However, we do not take part in or provide medical assistance in dying.
See our policy and more information on medical assistance in dying.
Annual reports on disclosure
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
Urgent requests (after hours)
Call our main phone number and listen for the on-call contact information.