Continuing care services
We offer quality, compassionate care to 30 residents in both private and semiprivate rooms.
Long-term care is available once you have been assessed by a case manager. You can choose to be placed with us, but you may have to wait for an opening. The unit is staff 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Office hours: Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m.-4:15 p.m.
Long-Term Care Unit, Main Floor
Our program offers recreation and leisure services and activities for people who live in our centre. We focus on improving all aspects of your health and well-being —physical, mental, emotional, social and spiritual.
Recreation Department, Main Floor
Phone: 780.826.3311, ext. 270
The Bonnyville Community Cancer Centre offers treatment, education and support to patients with cancer. We also have a cancer patient navigator to support you and your family.
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
Bonnyville Community Cancer Centre, Main Floor
Cancer patient navigator
Phone: 780.826.3311, ext. 3162
We diagnose and treat health emergencies 24 hours a day, every day. If you have a life-threatening illness or injury, call 911.
For health concerns that are not an emergency, phone:
- your family doctor
- Health Link (811) to speak to a registered nurse
We see the sickest patients first, regardless of when they arrive.
How long you wait can depend on the time of day and how busy we are at the time.
What to bring to the emergency department
If possible, bring:
- your provincial health care card
- a list of your medications
- contact information for your doctor
The emergency department is located on the north side of the hospital. You can also access it from inside the building. Look for signage or ask staff at the registration desk across from the front entrance.
Our program provides the testing needed for diagnosing and treating conditions in the digestive system. We offer services for both inpatients and outpatients.
These services include:
- gastroscopy: a look inside the esophagus, stomach and duodenum
- colonoscopy: a look inside the large bowel
- sigmoidoscopy: a look inside the lower portion of the large bowel
You will need a referral to use these services.
Bookings: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
Procedure days vary depending on when our surgeon is available.
Endoscopy Program, Main Floor
We provide a wide range of family medical services to people of all ages. These services include:
- acute care (treatment for short-term illnesses or injuries)
- chronic care (treatment for long-term illnesses such as asthma, hypertension or emphysema)
- preventive medicine
- mental health support
- minor surgical procedures
We offer cardiac stress testing to outpatients. You will need to walk on a treadmill while our internal medicine physician watches your heart rhythm, blood pressure and breathing.
Your doctor may recommend a stress test if you have symptoms of coronary artery disease or an irregular heart beat (an arrhythmia).
You will need a referral from our internal medicine physician to use this service.
Clinic days vary by month and are by appointment only.
Cardiac Stress Testing, Main Floor, Room 1918
Phone: 780.826.3311, ext. 4168
We offer interpretive services for patients, residents and families who prefer to communicate in a language other than English. You may request services in person, through live video or over the phone.
To arrange for an interpreter, speak to a member of your care team.
Lung and breathing therapy
Our respiratory therapy program offers services to all age groups. Our services include:
- assessment and education
- diagnostics, including spirometry (baseline and pre/post B2) and arterial blood gases
- Respiratory Benefits Program (AADL), respiratory equipment needs assessment for home (inpatient and outpatient and home oxygen testing), oximetry and walk tests
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Rehabilitation Clinics with Breath Easy Program for Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- asthma and COPD education and follow-up (other disease education as well)
- smoking cessation
- trach changes, trach care and education
- educational workshops (in-servicing)
- ventilator support and education
Tuesday, Thursday and every second Friday, 8 a.m.-4:15 p.m.
Respiratory Therapy Service, Main Floor
Phone: 780.826.3311, ext. 3304
Our obstetrics team provides care for low-risk mothers and babies before, during and after birth on an inpatient and outpatient basis.
Our services include:
- care during pregnancy, including fetal monitoring and nonstress testing
- labour and delivery with options for labour induction, anesthesia, caesarian section surgery (elective, urgent or emergency)
After delivery, you and your baby may stay together in a private room.
Our team offers services that help you learn, relearn or maintain skills for carrying out daily activities if you have had an illness or injury.
Services can address:
- general illness
Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m.-4:15 p.m.
Our team treats people with physical issues related to an injury, disability or other health condition. We offer services to adults and children in hospital as well as the community. We also serve residents in our long-term care unit.
Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m.-4:15 p.m.
Rehabilitation Department, Main Floor
Our centre offers surgery and anesthesia services in several different areas, including:
- general (gall bladder removal, hernia repair, breast biopsy, hemorrhoid removal, appendix removal)
- obstetrical (cesarian sections, procedures for ectopic or tubal pregnancies)
- gynecological (laparoscopic hysterectomy, hysteroscopy with ablation, abdominal hysterectomy, dilation and curettage, ovarian cyst removal, diagnostic procedures, tubal occlusions)
Five days a week, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
Surgery and Anesthesia Services, Main Floor
Volunteers from Strathcona Resources support residents at Bonnyville Health Centre through gardening project.
September 21, 2023
Bonnyville physician Dr. Leonard De Freitas shares his ICU encounter and his sister’s COVID-19 death to encourage people to follow public health measures.
March 8, 2021
For April Miskie, an obstetrics RN at Bonnyville Health Centre, Bonnyville is full of opportunity and is an ideal place to raise her two kids.
March 4, 2021
24 hours every day
Stop the spread of germs
- For the safety of our patients and residents, we encourage you to clean your hands when you visit. See A Guide to Clean Hands for information on protecting yourself and your loved ones.
- If you’re sick, wait and visit your loved one when you’re feeling better. If you must visit and you’re coughing or sneezing, consider wearing a mask to protect your loved one.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, and then discard the tissue. If you don’t have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your upper sleeve or elbow.
- Clean your hands often with soap and water or hand sanitizer, especially after coughing or sneezing.
We offer free visitor parking, including accessible parking stalls, on the south and north sides of our centre.
Monday-Friday: 7 a.m.-11 p.m.
Saturday-Sunday: 8 a.m.-11 p.m.
Inside the front lobby
Our cafeteria offers many meal options, coffee, snacks and drinks
7 a.m.-7 p.m.
Lower level of the building
780.826.3311, ext. 2135
Opening hours depend on when our volunteers are available.
Main floor lobby
780.826.3311, ext. 3253
General resourcesResident and family handbook Your role in safe care Request health information or health records Caring relationship (video) Bonnyville Health Centre Legacy Story
Long-term care resourcesAlzheimer's Society of Alberta and Northwest Territories Canadian Mental Health Association Getting a case manager Learn about long-term care Levels of care Support for caregivers
Looking for a specific service area?
Check this location's list of services.