Community Geriatric Psychiatry Program
We offer day programs to promote well-being and help seniors recover from mental illness or mental illness with addiction concerns. We work with you and your family to tailor care to your needs in your own home and community.
Services are available to seniors in the Edmonton Zone through our offices at Westmount Shopping Centre and in Ermineskin.
The Community Geriatric Day Program may be right for you if you need:
- Short-term clinical intervention. This includes initial assessment and/or treatment in the community and/or post-psychiatric inpatient treatment follow-up.
- Intense or longer-term treatment. This includes long-term support and/or specialized day programming for those who are at high risk of experiencing worsening symptoms or of being re-hospitalized.
You may be referred to our program if you:
- Have a mental health diagnosis and experience psychiatric symptoms and/or a decline in cognition or functioning and can be supported in the community
- Have medical issues that complicate psychiatric treatment but are being addressed by healthcare providers
- Have dementia with treatable psychiatric or behavioural concerns. (Dementia alone is not a reason for referral.)
- Are aware of and agree with the referral (or your alternative decision maker agrees on your behalf)
- Have substance abuse or process addictions combined with a mental health diagnosis
You may not be referred if you live in a long-term care or designated supportive living centre served by the Continuing Care Psychiatry Consultation Service.
We offer day programs to help our patients live well and thrive in the community. The programs are designed to promote your independence, wellness and quality of life through cognitive, leisure and recreation activities.
Southside Seniors Day Program
Daily exercises and a weekly cognitive program for those who need long-term support or struggle to take part in unstructured community programs.
Tuesday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
Friday, 12-2:30 p.m.
Transitions Therapeutic Programming
Education and coping strategies for those who need short-term or transitional support. Preregistration is required.
Monday, 1:30 p.m.
Friday, 9:15 a.m.