Banff Mineral Springs Hospital

Covenant Health

Resources

Resident & Family Handbook (pdf)
Banff Mineral Springs Hospital Legacy Story (PDF)

Facility overview

Contact information
Banff Mineral Springs Hospital
305 Lynx St
PO Box 1050
Banff AB   T1L 1H7

Phone: 403.762.2222

General info 

View larger map

The Banff Mineral Springs Hospital provides quality, responsive medical services, including emergency, specialized orthopedic, plastic and podiatry surgery, continuing care and primary care to the local community and visitors from around the world.

Patient & visitor information

Parking

Free visitor parking is available, including accessible parking stalls, on Wolf Street, Bow Avenue and the Train Station parking lot. 

Parking map

2016/17 Overview

Staff                                                                     271

Volunteers                                                         73

Outpatient visits                                               9,137

Emergency visits                                              11,860  

Acute care beds                                               22

Continuing care beds                                     25

Art For Life

Art For Life

The Art for Life program is an ongoing partnership between the Banff Mineral Springs Hospital and Bow Valley artists. Art for Life showcases local artwork for sale at the hospital with a portion of all proceeds supporting our Continuing Care Music Therapy Program. Please take the time to see the amazing talent of our local artists on display and consider supporting the hospital by purchasing a piece of artwork.

If you are an artist interested in participating in the Art of Life program or if you have questions about the program, please contact our Volunteer Services & Special Event Coordinator at 403.760.7249. 

Our founders

In 1930, four Sisters of St. Martha traveled from Antigonish, Nova Scotia to purchase the Banff Hospital from the estate of Dr. Brett. In 1886, Dr. Brett along with the help of his sons and colleagues, started to deliver health services from a small cabin. Prior to this, health services were delivered from a Canadian Pacific Railway boxcar.

The Sisters of St. Martha were amazing women dedicated to delivering high-quality health care services to the community of Banff, the residents of the Bow Valley and tourists who visited Banff National Park. These women were entrepreneurs. In 1938, they signed a contract to provide physical therapy treatments as well as use of the hot mineral waters for Worker’s Compensation Board patients from various parts of the province. In doing so, the Sisters helped increase hospital revenue. The Sisters also established a School of Nursing and developed stringent standards of excellence for the care they provided.

The relationship between the people of the Banff community and the Sisters of St. Martha was one of respect and caring. The Sisters describe their relationship as a “covenant to work together for the health of the community.”
In October 2003 the Mineral Springs Hospital renamed the continuing care unit St. Martha’s Place in honour of the Sisters of St. Martha and their contributions to health care in Banff.

We are grateful to the Sisters of Saint Martha for their dedication of service and ministry to the sick and elderly. We applaud them for their establishment of clinical excellence and expertise and honour the opportunity to carry on not only the healing mission of Jesus, but also their entrepreneurial spirit. The standard of health care in Banff is what it is today because of the Sister’s influence – we cherish the memories they have given us.

Today, the hospital’s staff and community are committed to continuing the work of healing carried out by the Sisters for so many decades. Their legacy continues as we work to realize our vision of being a centre of excellence for specialty surgical and emergency care while meeting the healthcare needs of our local community and beyond.

 

Work with us

 

Send your feedback

 

Donate

 

Volunteer