Transition services and social work
We provide transition and social work services to support your return home after your hospital stay. We promote the Destination Home program, and we believe home is the best place to recover after being in our care. From the moment you are admitted, we work with you to plan your return to the community.
How we help
As members of your care team, our transition coordinators and social workers help:
- ensure you have the support you need to be as independent as possible in your home setting
- ensure you can keep healthy at home
- coordinate care planning if home is a continuing care centre
- connect you with community programs and resources
- support financial planning for your return
- coordinate family and caregiver support
- communicate your goals and values about your care needs
- mediate and assist with conflict resolution and advocacy
- support decision-making
To learn more, call the Alberta Health Services Community Care Access Information Line at 780.496.1300. Open 24 hours a day.
Transition services: Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 3:45 p.m. (weekend coverage available)
Emergency department transition services: daily, 9 a.m. - 9:15 p.m.
Social work: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:15 p.m. (weekend coverage available)
Emergency department social work: daily, 10 a.m. - 6:15 p.m.