Edmonton General Continuing Care Centre

Covenant Health

Resources

Resident & Family Handbook (PDF)
Introduction to Long Term Care (PDF)
Edmonton General Continuing Care Centre Legacy Story (PDF)
Edmonton General Continuing Care Centre Fact Sheet - 2018/19

Facility overview

Contact information
Edmonton General Continuing Care Centre
11111 Jasper Ave NW
Edmonton AB   T5K 0L4

Phone: 780.342.8000 

Click here to view a map and get driving directions 

 

The Edmonton General Continuing Care Centre provides long term care, subacute care and hospice care to a diverse population in downtown Edmonton, following a deep-rooted tradition of healing the body, enriching the mind and nurturing the soul.

COVID-19 Outbreak Status

The Chief Medical Officer of Health has indicated that continuing care sites must update residents and families of their site’s outbreak status.

Update as of October 20 2020
Edmonton Continuing Care Centre is a Site on a confirmed COVID-19 outbreak.

Site Outbreak Definitions

  1. Outbreak prevention is:
    • No residents or staff showing any symptoms of COVID-19
  2. Site under investigation is defined as: 
    • At least one resident or staff member who exhibits one or more symptoms of COVID-19
  3.  A confirmed COVID-19 outbreak is defined as:
    • Any one individual (resident or staff) with laboratory-confirmed COVID-1
    • Sites with two or more laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 cases will be included in AHS’ public reporting.

For information related to COVID-19, we encourage you to visit Alberta Health Services’ website.

If you have any questions about your site, please contact us directly. Contact information is on the left.

 

Programs & services

Continuing care

 G.F.Macdonald Centre for Lung Health

Mel Miller Hospice

Spiritual Care

Subacute/restorative care

Parking

Beginning September 1, 2020, public parking fees will be in effect again at Covenant Health sites. 

Paid hourly parking is available, including accessible parking stalls, in the parking lot on the north side of the facility (Jasper Avenue), or City of Edmonton meter parking can be found along 111 Street, 112 Street and 100 Avenue.

Parking map

Parking office

Edmonton General, Room 3A07 (main floor)
Open Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. (closed holidays)
780.342.8617
ParkingEdmonton@ahs.ca

2018/19 Overview

Staff                                                                      1,094

Volunteers                                                          345

Long-term care beds                                       439       

Palliative hospice beds                                     26

Restorative/ sub-acute care beds                 30

Our founders

St. Marguerite d'Youville & The Grey Nuns

The founding congregation to the Edmonton General, the Grey Nuns, began in Montreal in 1738 by St. Marguerite d’Youville. After the death of her husband, St. d’Youville committed to helping those less fortunate in her community. Her deeds were noticed by several women in the community and eventually St. d’Youville and four other Sisters became Les Soeurs Grises (the Grey Nuns). Initially, the Sisters supporting their  work through a small general store, but after losing the store to a large fire in 1745, St. d’Youville took this as a sign from God for the need to “live more common and in greater poverty.” This vow has become known as the “Original Commitment” and is taken by every woman who joins the Grey Nuns.

The Grey Nuns became formally involved in caring for the sick in 1747 when they took over the administration and care of the Montreal Hospital. This tradition continued when the Edmonton General was built in 1895 on Jasper Avenue.  

Building the Edmonton General

The land where the Edmonton General sits was initially owned by the Hudson’s Bay Company and was sold to the Grey Nuns to build a hospital. While the hospital officially opening its doors to the public in 1896, it actually saw its first patients in late 1895. To accommodate the growing Edmonton population, the hospital was renovated in 1907 and 1920, greatly expanding the services and bed count at the facility. A School of Nursing was also introduced in 1908. The school remained in the hospital until 1972 when it was moved to Grant MacEwan Community College. Additional wings were later added to meet the needs of Edmontonians. The last major change to the Edmonton General was the transition to a continuing care centre in 1989, just after the Grey Nuns Hospital was built in southeast Edmonton. 

 

 

Work with us

 

Send your feedback

 

Donate

 

Volunteer