Experience, education and portability
We may recognize relevant previous work experience to determine your salary placement if you are eligible. We recognize experience according to your applicable employment agreement.
Records of previous experience
If you would like to have your experience recognized for salary purposes, you must submit a recognition of previous experience form or portability letter.
Recognition of previous experience form(s)
You will need a separate form for each employer. Each form must:
- have section II completed by your previous employer
- confirm your experience, including employment dates and hours worked
- contact information from your previous employer (We do not accept personal email addresses such as Gmail accounts.)
Submit a record of previous experience
Once you have your network credentials, submit all documentation through the HR Contact Centre ServiceHub.
- Click My Items in the navigation menu, then select the + icon > Create a new HR Case.
- Select HR Administration from the Categories, then the Rate of Pay tile.
- Under Request Type, select Portability.
- Under Please type your request, specify "For review by HRBSSS, Covenant Health for Portability Request".
- You must submit experience for all previous employers. We currently do not match your rate of pay from your current or last employer.
- If you are rehired and have previous Covenant Health experience, include your dates employed with Covenant Health when submitting your request for recognition of previous experience.
- Submissions for previous experience will only adjust your rate of pay. If you would like to port entitlements, see the Portability or Site transfer sections below.
- We will only recognize time worked before your start date with us. We will not recognize positions you have held at the same time as being a Covenant Health employee.
- To have your starting salary step reassessed retroactive to your start date, you must submit a completed recognition of previous experience form and supporting documents (if provided by employer) within 90 days from your start date with us.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unable to submit within this time period.
You can submit a portability letter from a manager or HR representative of a previous employer. You will need a separate letter for each employer, and each letter must include:
- confirmation of experience, including employment dates and hours worked with each employer
- contact information from your previous employer. We do not accept personal email addresses such as Gmail accounts.
Portability applies to AUPE auxiliary nurses, HSAA paramedical professional/technical and UNA groups. You may port entitlements if you meet the conditions outlined in your collective agreement.
Portability may include your vacation accrual date, sick bank or seniority date.
Site transfers apply to HSAA paramedical professional/technical, UNA (Edmonton Zone) and out of scope groups.
New hires may be eligible to transfer entitlements and banks between Covenant Health and AHS if conditions are met (e.g., termination from your current position).
See the employment agreement for your position.
Education allowances apply to AUPE auxiliary nursing (health care aides) and UNA.
We may recognize courses, diplomas, certificates, degrees and postgraduate degrees relevant to your position if taken at an accredited school. You may receive additional compensation as per your collective agreement.
See the collective agreement for your position.