Criminal record check
To ensure the safety and well-being of those in our care, we are legally obligated to obtain a criminal record check (CRC), with vulnerable sector search (VSS) where required. This applies to all new and former employees or volunteers or employees transferring to a position with a higher security screening level.
You cannot start working until we have received a satisfactory CRC from you.
A satisfactory CRC will be specific to your role with us and must:
- be issued not more than six months before and valid on your start date
- be issued by local police or RCMP
- be verifiable as an original document or an electronic copy
- include a VSS, where applicable to the position
- indicate results (“clear” or “unclear”) with any follow-up recommendations noted or carried out by the reviewer (i.e., fingerprinting, etc.)
Processing times may vary between law enforcement offices. Allow enough time to get your CRC.
Upload your CRC
Once you accept your e-offer, upload a copy of the original document as part of your onboarding tasks. To avoid delays, ensure your document is readable and no information is missing.
Our offer of employment is conditional until we receive a verified satisfactory CRC.
You must cover any costs associated with the record check. Keep your original CRC documentation for a period of at least six months from your start date. You may be asked to produce it within this time period as part of an audit process.
Notify your hiring manager if:
- You cannot get a CRC before your start date. You may use the candidate declaration process instead. (See below.)
- Your CRC will indicate a charge or conviction for which you have not received a pardon or produces an unsatisfactory, negative or “unclear” result. You must notify your hiring manager before uploading the document.
Candidate declaration form
You can complete a candidate declaration form if you cannot get your CRC before your start date. This allows you to start work before we receive your CRC.
How to complete a declaration form
- Complete the candidate declaration form.
- Upload the completed form in your onboarding tasks in place of your CRC.
- Apply for your CRC, with VSS where applicable to the position, at your local police or RCMP station.
- Email your CRC/VSS as soon as your receive it to firstname.lastname@example.org using your Covenant Health email account.
We reserve the right to immediately end your employment or placement with us for just cause if:
- The results of your CRC (including VSS if applicable) reveal that relevant information was omitted in your candidate declaration.
- We do not receive your CRC (including VSS if applicable) within four weeks of your start date with us. (Extenuating circumstances may be considered.)