Apply for a student placement
Ready to apply for a student placement with us? Learn how to make a request and what to expect.
Placements are unpaid, and our staff and managers cannot arrange one directly with you.
Placement requests for Canadian students (including employee learners) must come from their school. The school, placement co-ordinator or program placement co-ordinator may email email@example.com.
International students and post-specialty learners
International students or post-specialty learners should email firstname.lastname@example.org to seek a placement.
Along with meeting basic requirements for all student placements, international students need to:
- show written approval or registration with an applicable Canadian regulatory body or college
- provide written proof of enrollment from the school
- meet Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada study and student requirements
- undergo a Canadian immigration medical examination before coming to Canada
- arrange travel and housing
When to send in your request
We do our best to fulfill placement requests in a timely and fair way. Schools in Alberta should seek placements at least three months in advance.
Schools outside Alberta and international students should seek placements at least six months in advance. This gives everyone time to make sure all agreements and prerequisites are in place.
How we assign placements
We fulfill requests based on:
- closeness of the school or program to the requested site
- where you live
- unit, program or site ability to support students
- your student employment status with us
- post-educational requirements
Health Sciences Placement Network
Alberta uses the Health Sciences Placement Network (HSPnet) to manage student placements. Our student placement team or your program co-ordinator will submit the request to HSPnet.