Students get OR experience in hospital-based summer camp
For the past seven years, Covenant Health physicians and staff have been volunteering to share their knowledge and passion for their profession with students in the Covenant Health Youth Healthcare Camps.
The 14 to 17 year olds get the opportunity to spend time at all three of Covenant Health’s Edmonton facilities experiencing everything from palliative care to physiotherapy. Our cameras caught up with the group when they visited the OR at the Grey Nuns for a session with vascular surgeon Dr. Jason Bayne, anesthetist Dr. Adam Freed, and perioperative nurses Rae Lim and Larissa Hunka.
The Youth Healthcare Camp is a week-long camp designed to allow youth to interact with staff in a hospital setting and get a taste of the type of career options that exist in health care.
This unique camp enables youth to:
- experience working in a healthcare setting through job shadowing.
- participate in educational sessions presented by various healthcare professionals, including physicians, nurses, pharmacists, and physiotherapists.
- gain familiarity with medical terminology.
- participate in tours of Covenant Health's unique medical facilitieis.
- participate in interactive workshops and seminars.
- establish connections in the healthcare field.
- learn about exciting trends in healthcare.
During the camp, students participate in activities at the Misericordia Community Hospital, Grey Nuns Community Hospital, and Edmonton General Continuing Care Centre.
For more information or to join Covenant Health's Youth Healthcare Camp, please contact:
Edmonton General Volunteer Services at 780-342-8958
Youth Healthcare Camp Coordinator at email@example.com