New monument honours the contributions of Catholic Sisters in Alberta
The Catholic Sisters’ Legacy Recognition Project was held on September 28, 2011 to recognize Catholic Sisters for their historical contributions to public life in Alberta. Sisters from 74 Catholic orders were honoured for their pioneering role in education, health care and social welfare over the past 150 years. These religious women built hospitals, schools, and operated social services in cities, towns and rural ares for the benefit of all Albertans.
The event started with a dedication ceremony at the Alberta Legislature Grounds followed by a mass and reception at St. Joseph’s Basilica. A monument, Service through Christ, now stands at the Alberta Legislature Grounds in recognition of the Sisters contributions. As well, September 28 has been proclaimed Catholic Sisters Legacy Recognition Day in several communities across the province.
Since the first Sisters arrived in Alberta in 1859, their accomplishments have been remarkable.
- The Sisters established 44 hospitals, 67 schools and 62 social services including soup kitchens, immigrants services, orphanages, boarding schools for un-wed mothers, counseling services, clothes for children, care for the elderly, and activities for teens.
- Religious missions played a key role in the founding of 49 towns and cities in Alberta.
Thousands of Sisters contributed to the building of Alberta. They have entrusted us, all Albertans, with their legacy and they continue to inspire us all to answer the call to serve all Albertans with compassion and courage.
Catholic Sisters' Legacy Recognition Project is a joint effort by Covenant Health and other Catholic organizations.